Past Courses for Teachers
Smithsonian Folkways workshop in World Music Pedagogy
What: Smithsonian Folkways workshop in World Music Pedagogy
When: Saturday, November 12, 8:30am – 12:15pm
Where: Hampton Room, Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C.
How: One-day registration ($40) for the 61st annual meeting of the Society for Ethnomusicology
Calling all K-12 music teachers! Please join Smithsonian Folkways Recordings and a host of top-notch educators for a special workshop in World Music Pedagogy at the 61st meeting of the Society for Ethnomusicology. With the aim of learning and developing an understanding of diverse ways to teach music, this workshop will explore learning culture through songs, movement and dance experiences, instrumental music, and contextualized cultural components. Participants are guided through recordings and curricular materials from the Smithsonian Folkways archives that fit the needs of students in various age groups.
- Smithsonian Folkways Free Online Resources
- Learning Irish Music through Playing & Dancing
- Balinese Music: The Monkey Chant
- Experience Thailand’s Pong Lang Ensemble
- Folk Songs and Dances of the Czech and Slovak Republics for the Classroom